Saturday, July 21, 2012

You Don't Need Anybody That Doesn't Need You





A few years back when I was young and stupid (not that I’m any different now) I had a friend that I depended on 24/7. My mood depended on his mood. A certain thought of losing him would catch my mind every once in a while and I would receive a flow of shudders. It was an impossible thought.


We were in the middle of a conversation one day when I confronted him on the idea of him ever leaving. He found it no big deal and a possibility of the future while I sat there with adrenalin shooting from his reaction to my simple question. I told him I wouldn’t be able to handle him ever leaving and to wipe that idea from his mind. He gave me a puzzled look to that response and asked me what I meant.


I repeated, "If you ever left me as a friend I wouldn't be able to handle it."


He asked me, "Really? How would you handle it then?"


"I wouldn't be able to, duh," I confidently responded.


"Say I stopped talking to you tomorrow, what would you do?" He asked.


"Id call you."


"And if I didn't pick up?"


"I would call you again."


"Say I didn't pick up no matter how many times you called."


"I'd find a way to contact you and ask you what happened."


"And I didn't respond, I was gone forever."


"I would cry."


"And?"


"I would be upset."


"And?"


"I would wonder what happened."


"And?"


"And that's it! What else could I do?"


"Would you drop out of school?"


"No!"


"Would you stop talking to all of your friends?"


"Absolutely not."


"So that's it right? You'd be upset for a while and would cry a bit."


"Yeah I guess."


"Well there you go. You don't need me. You don't need anybody specific in your life. When someone leaves your life, let them. It only means there's someone better. Never beg anyone to stay in your life, because anybody you need is already there."

  As small as that conversation was. It opened my eyes. It made me realize if I could lose the person that meant the most to me at the time (which I eventually did) and still have breathe inside me, then I could lose anyone and it would eventually turn out okay. When you feel like you need someone in your life, take a step back and understand what real difference it would make. What do they provide you that you can't provide yourself? "When someone gives you more grief, than happiness...drop him/her. You're better without that person bringing you down, trust me." You need to receive the best in your life. Someone who seems like the best may not actually be the best. Don't be around a person just because you're not use to not being around them. Life is too short. Surround yourself with love, and share your love. Respect all and you'll eventually find the right group of people that deserve to be around you and that you can share your life with.

No comments:

Post a Comment